Here’s a sample monthly budget. The figures below should give you a good idea of what it costs to live in France from day to day.
- Small apartment (private) : 450 Euros
- Room in university residence : 240 Euros
- Studio flat in university residence : 405 Euros
- Food and meals : 200 Euros
- Price of a meal ticket in the University restaurants : 3.10 Euros
- Health insurance : 40 Euros
- Local Transportation : 31 Euros
- A walk along the Rhône and in the Beautiful Parc de la Tête d’Or : FREE !!
A budget of around 800 Euros per month will cover your accommodation, food, transport and cultural activities.
Many discounts are available to students in some shops, restaurants, cafés, theatres, cinemas, hairdressers, etc.
For students staying more than 3 months, an accommodation grant is available from the 2nd month (the amount varies according to the rent, for example for a university room at 240 Euros, the accommodation grant is around 90 euros.)
The “Carte de séjour” will allow foreign students to work for a maximum of 20 h per week.
No further work permit is required.
To get all the useful information about life in Lyon we invite you to go and read the very complete student’s guide on LyonCampus website.